Being a teacher is an extremely engaging, exciting and rewarding career. As a teacher you have the opportunity to change lives. Teachers need high levels of knowledge and a range of qualities that support students to engage, grow and achieve.
What do teachers do?
- Teach the Australian Curriculum
- Assess and report on student progress
- Plan and deliver learning programs and materials to meet each student's needs
- Build relationships with their students, parents, families, carers, colleagues and the community
- Maintain competency and knowledge of curriculum programs, information technology, educational theory and evidence based practices
- Get involved in school activities, such as fetes, school camps, concerts, sports
- Contribute to school planning and objectives and assist with the development of school resources
The Australian Professional Standards for Teachers outline the key elements of quality teaching at each of the four career stages: graduate, proficient, highly accomplished and lead. The standards define the work of teachers and articulate the professional capabilities that are expected.
What qualities should you have?
- Enthusiasm, passion and motivation
- Patience and adaptability
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to interact with people from a diverse range of cultures and backgrounds
- Ability to work in a team and autonomously
- Effective organisation and time management skills
- Ability to respond calmly to challenging situations