Skip to main content

How to get working rights in Australia

There are various types of visas that teachers can apply for through the Department of Home Affairs.  

We encourage those seeking a sponsorship visa to view the information available on the below pages: 

  • the Northern Territory government’s Migrate to Work page  
  • the Department of Home Affairs’ website.  

The Department of Home Affairs recommends that those seeking a visa enlist the help of a Registered Migration Agent.  

Employment eligibility in an NT Government School 

To apply to teach in the Northern Territory (NT) you need to: 

  • be a qualified classroom teacher i.e. Bachelor or Master's degree in education. You can check this by contacting the Teacher Registration Board of the NT or AITSL
  • hold the appropriate working rights i.e. permanent resident, Australian citizen or current working visa. For working visa requirements, please refer to the Department of Home Affairs website. To gain permanent employment in the NT, you must prove permanent residency or be an Australian citizen. 
  • Your application should consist of a current curriculum vitae and at least two recent referees (at principal or assistant principal level). If you are a graduate, referee reports are not required. Instead, graduate teachers should upload their final practicum report, also known as professional experience placement report. 

Upon commencement of employment as a teacher, you will be required to hold current: 

Application process 

If you are seeking sponsorship for a working visa, there are two ways to apply to teach in the NT.  

Apply for an advertised vacancy: 

To view current advertised positions, go to the NT Government Employment Opportunities website.   

When submitting your application, include a current curriculum vitae and a one-page cover letter including advice that you require sponsorship for an employment visa. 

Contact a school directly: 

If you want to work in a specific school, you can contact the school directly (by email or phone) to express your interest and advise that you are seeking sponsorship for an employment visa.  

Make sure your resume is current and ready to send, including your referee details.   

View our current classroom teaching vacancies

For information about school contact details, visit the Education Directory

If your application is successful, you will be notified; and the school and the Talent, Attraction and Recruitment team will work with you to finalise the requirements of the sponsorship process.  

You will be required to provide statements of service from your previous employers (if any) to the Talent Attraction and Recruitment team to determine your correct salary level. Please contact the Talent Attraction and Recruitment team for further information –

Once the sponsorship process has been approved by the Department of Home Affairs, an employment contract will be prepared.